Maryland Mortgage Program SmartBuy 3.0
The Maryland SmartBuy 3.0 program helps homebuyers with student debt purchase a home. The program is designed to allow borrowers to pay off student debt during the purchase of an eligible home. Maryland SmartBuy financing provides up to 15% of the home purchase price for the borrower to pay off their outstanding student debt, up to a maximum of $30,000. This is structured as a 0% interest loan, forgivable over 5 years.
This program allows you to borrow money to buy your home and pay off your student debt.
ELIGIBILITY & LIMITATIONS
- You must have a student debt of at least $1,000. The maximum student debt amount cannot exceed $30,000.
- Your whole student loan must be paid off at the time of purchase.
- You must earn a homeownership counseling certificate before closing on your home.
- You must not own other properties at the time of closing.
- You must live in this home as your primary residence.
- You must contribute at least 5% of the sales price of your own money to your home purchase
- For purchases in Baltimore City, this program is not limited to first-time homebuyers.
ADDITIONAL REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development, Maryland Mortgage Program
We're here to help.
Have more questions about this or other Baltimore City homeownership incentives? We're here to help! Send us an email or give us a call at (410) 637-3750. A Live Baltimore team member can walk you through your options.Contact Us
Maryland Mortgage Program-Approved Lenders
- Save your recommendations for later.
- Get access to our Financial Incentives Tool.
- Connect with a Live Baltimore staff member for a one-on-one consultation.
- Get a free I ♥ City Life bumper sticker.