Maryland Mortgage Program SmartBuy 2.0
The Maryland SmartBuy 2.0 program helps homebuyers with student debt purchase a home. The program is designed to allow borrowers to pay off student debt during the purchase of an eligible home. Maryland SmartBuy financing provides up to 15% of the home purchase price for the borrower to pay off their outstanding student debt, up to a maximum of $30,000. This is structured as a 0% interest loan, forgivable over 5 years.
This program allows you to borrow money to buy your home and pay off your student debt.
ELIGIBILITY & LIMITATIONS
- You must have a student debt of at least $1,000. The maximum student debt amount cannot exceed $30,000.
- Your whole student loan must be paid off at the time of purchase.
- You must earn a homeownership counseling certificate before closing on your home.
- You must not own other properties at the time of closing.
- You must live in this home as your primary residence.
- You must contribute at least 5% of the sales price of your own money to your home purchase
- For purchases in Baltimore City, this program is not limited to first-time homebuyers.
ADDITIONAL REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Maryland Department of Housing and Community Development, Maryland Mortgage Program
We're here to help.
- Save your recommendations for later.
- Get access to our Financial Incentives Tool.
- Connect with a Live Baltimore staff member for a one-on-one consultation.
- Get a free I ♥ City Life bumper sticker.