Good Neighbor Next Door Program
The Good Neighbor Next Door Program allows law enforcement officers, pre-Kindergarten through 12th grade teachers, firefighters and emergency medical technicians to contribute to community revitalization while becoming homeowners. HUD offers a substantial incentive in the form of a discount of 50% from the list price of the home. Eligible single-family homes are listed exclusively for sale through the GNND program, and are in HUD-designated neighborhoods in need of economic and community development. Properties are available for purchase through the program for seven days. The number of properties available is limited and the list of available properties changes weekly.
This program reduces the price of your home
ELIGIBILITY & LIMITATIONS
- Geographic restrictions apply
- No household income restrictions
- Not limited to first-time homebuyers
- You must live in this home as your primary residence
- This program may be used in addition to other incentives
- You must commit to living in this home for at least 3 years
- You may not own other properties at the time you submit your offer to purchase this home; and for one year previous to that date
- You must contribute an amount equal to one percent of the list price, but no less than $500 and more than $2,000.
- You can only buy a single-unit home, townhouse, or condominium
- You must use a Real Estate Broker or Agent to buy a GNND home
- You must be employed full-time by the government where the home is located
- You must certify that it is your intention to remain employed for one year beginning with your purchase. Do no attempt to participate in the program if you know in advance that you will not be employed as required for at least one year.
- You must sign a second mortgage and note for the discount amount. No interest or payments are required on this “silent second” provided that you fulfill the three-year occupancy requirement.
We're here to help.
- Save your recommendations for later.
- Get access to our Financial Incentives Tool.
- Connect with a Live Baltimore staff member for a one-on-one consultation.
- Get a free I ♥ City Life bumper sticker.