Homestead Property Tax Credit
The Homestead Property Tax Credit was designed to limit the amount of the annual increase in taxable assessments for eligible owner occupied properties. The program protects homeowners from increases in taxable assessment above the level established by local law, in Baltimore City the annual cap is 4%. The credit is applied against the taxes due on the portion of the reassessment exceeding the 4% homestead cap. The credit is applied directly to the property owner’s tax bill.
This program reduces your property taxes.
ELIGIBILITY & LIMITATIONS
- No household income restriction
- You must live in this home as your primary residence.
- You must apply one time.
- New owners will be mailed an application after the property is transferred; the property owner must file the application within 180 days following the date the dwelling is transferred to them
ADDITIONAL REFERENCES & RESOURCES
Maryland State Department of Assessments & Taxation
We're here to help.
Have more questions about this or other Baltimore City homeownership incentives? We're here to help! Send us an email or give us a call at (410) 637-3750. A Live Baltimore team member can walk you through your options.Contact Us
- Save your recommendations for later.
- Get access to our Financial Incentives Tool.
- Connect with a Live Baltimore staff member for a one-on-one consultation.
- Get a free I ♥ City Life bumper sticker.