Maryland Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit
The Maryland Homeowners’ Property Tax Credit sets a limit on the amount of property taxes any homeowner must pay based on income. The tax credit is based upon the amount by which the property taxes exceed a percentage of your income. Homeowners who file and qualify by May 1 will receive the credit directly on their tax bill. Homeowners who file later up until the September 1 deadline will receive any credit due in the form of a revised tax bill. A refund will be issued if the bill has already been paid.
This program reduces your property taxes.
ELIGIBILITY & LIMITATIONS
- You must apply each year for this tax credit
- You must live in this home as your primary residence
- Combined gross household income cannot exceed $60,000
- Net worth, excluding the value of the property for which the credit application is being made and the cash value of IRAs or qualified retirement savings plans, must not exceed $200,000
- Qualified home purchasers may apply in advance to help reduce the amount of monies needed at settlement. You must apply at least 30 days before your expected settlement date to receive any credit due at the time of closing
ADDITIONAL REFERENCES & RESOURCES
We're here to help.
- Save your recommendations for later.
- Get access to our Financial Incentives Tool.
- Connect with a Live Baltimore staff member for a one-on-one consultation.
- Get a free I ♥ City Life bumper sticker.