Public Safety Officers Tax Credit
The Public Safety Officers Tax Credit offers a credit against the Baltimore City real property tax imposed on the principal residence of sworn public safety officers serving full time in the Baltimore City Police Department, Baltimore City Fire Department, Baltimore City Sheriff’s Office, or the Baltimore City Public School System. The program provides up to a $2,500 property tax reduction each taxable year the property remains eligible.
This program reduces your property taxes.
ELIGIBILITY & LIMITATIONS
- You must be a “Public safety officer” which means a firefighter, an emergency medical technician, or a law enforcement officer who is a a sworn member of and employed full time by the Baltimore City Fire Department, the Baltimore City Police Department, The Baltimore City Sheriff’s Office, or the Baltimore City Public School System.
- You must live in this home as your primary residence.
- The tax credit must be applied for or renewed every taxable year by submitting an application prior to April 1st of each year.
- This tax credit can only be combined with the Targeted Homeowners Tax Credit and the Homestead Tax Credit.
- If an application is rejected the credit cannot be applied for again in the same tax year, you may apply in subsequent taxable years.
ADDITIONAL REFERENCES & RESOURCES
We're here to help.
- Save your recommendations for later.
- Get access to our Financial Incentives Tool.
- Connect with a Live Baltimore staff member for a one-on-one consultation.
- Get a free I ♥ City Life bumper sticker.